The times, they are a-changin’. It only took 3 days for Rockstar’s latest entry into the mega-popular GTA series to break the billion dollar mark. Rockstar are projecting over 437 milliion dollars in post-launch sales and the game is ready to be documented by Guinness World Records. Editor-in-chief for Guinness, Craig Glenday, stated “Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it’s taken on the might of Hollywood and won!
Not only did GTA V get itself into the the Guinness Book of World Records, but it broke a total of 7 records. They are:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game
Obviously video games are the mainstream now. This isn’t anything new, but GTA V’s success only helps further this point. We at HBHUD would like to send a big shout out to all of the staff who made this game the phenomena that it is – from motion-capture, to texturing, from legal to back-end work, all of you helped build a massive testament and love letter to video games. We would not exist without the passion and energy that turned something novel into a worldwide phenomena.